14 Aug 2019
An Academic Coach can help Improve Productivity, Grades, and Confidence
In a world that has become more and more complicated with extra-curricular activities, sports practices every night, and increasing academic pressures, just keeping up with responsibilities can be mind-boggling for a child or teen. With an academic coach, a student can take a deep breath and see a way that it all can be done, and with less stress. This is a holistic way to achieve success.
Here are some responsibilities of an academic coach:
- Monitor quality and completion of homework. Too many students are fighting with and misleading their parents about homework. Many students are much more receptive to professionals than they are to their parents in finding better ways to get homework done efficiently.
- Teach time management.This includes prioritizing and tackling homework and long term projects, finding short cuts, focusing to use time productively, and fitting in extra-curricular activities and down time.
- Teach organizational skills.This includes organizing supplies and papers so everything can be found easily. It also encompasses organizing ideas and writing, and organizing material to study for a test.
- Teach study skills.Some ways to study are more efficient than others.
- Explore goal setting, both academic and personal. A coach can help students see that school work, homework, tests, and essays are important not just in the short run but as part of a greater goal.
- Provide focus.It is so easy to get distracted every minute. A coach can help to improve focus by assisting in setting and writing down goals and looking at the big picture as well as the small steps to get there.
- Provide encouragement.Sometimes just knowing that someone believes in you can make you work harder. Improving self-esteem goes a long way.
- Expect students to do their best.An academic coach builds a relationship with a student and can tell when he or she is just getting by or doing their best. High expectations can build confidence.
- Provide a system for rewards.These can be small breaks in between assignments or a big treat after completing a major task.
- Reduce stress.This comes from having a greater sense of control and accomplishment.
- Help balance school with personal life and be successful with both.
We all want to work to our potential. An academic coach is an excellent avenue to help with that goal.
When is the best time to get an academic coach?
Right before the school year starts!
At Tutoring For Success, we have many qualified academic coaches.